Setting up a home network with XP

markcomp 09:17 16 Jul 05

This is probably a silly question but....I would like to network my families computers through my computer which runs XP
The Wizards all seem pretty straightforward (famous last words) but what i don't understand is how do I physically connect them. There is only one LAN socket on the back of my computer which is needed to connect to the internet.
I have a D-Link DI-704P router which i manged to get working on another system, but now having moved, changed main computer it won't even let me enter the URL.
I am at a loss as where to go from here. I have put a posting on D-Links site, but I would like to understand the XP networking options as well

PUNKA 09:27 16 Jul 05

Click on Network forum at top Left of this Page.

mgmcc 09:27 16 Jul 05

Normally, all computers would connect directly to the router via ethernet cable (or wirelessly if applicable).

If you are unable to use the router, you would have to install a second network adapter in your PC and connect it to a network hub/switch. The other PCs then connect to the hub/switch too. "Internet Connection Sharing" is enabled on your original network adapter which has the internet connection. This will configure your second adapter with the IP address 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the other PCs get their IP addresses automatically from the ICS "host".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…