Setting up a home network!!

alexgray104 18:36 09 Jun 05

I am a novice in creating networks and wish to build a very small one(one pc and one laptop) in my home. Both have XP Home and at least 256mb of RAM. The laptop is wirelessly enabled. I have a dear option and a cheap option. Please tell me if any one of them is wrong or at fault. Thanks. Dear Option: 1.Buy Wireless router and plug into and set up on Desktop. 2.Press wireless button on laptop and it detects the router and establishes a connection 3.I am able to share broadband connection with the laptop and desktop able to go on different things at different times. Am also able to share files and printer. Cheap Option: 1.Buy 802.11g USB 2 network adaptor plug into desktop pc and set up. 2.Press wireless button on laptop and it detects the adaptor and establishes a connection 3.I am able to share broadband connection with the laptop and desktop able to go on different things at different times. Am also able to share files and printer. Thank you very much for your help :-)

johnnyrocker 18:51 09 Jun 05
  palinka 19:14 09 Jun 05

I set up exactly the same small network, though in my case neither was wireless enabled at the start. I'd hesitated for a long time as I wasn't sure what I really needed & what all the possible bits did, but eventually opted for a kit from BT that contained a wireless router and wireless adapter for the laptop. Kit also included software to set it all up. I'm aware that I could probably have done it more cheaply, but their website explained very clearly what everything did & that decided it for me. In your case is the router option definitely more expensive? Otherwise I'd be inclined to go for that option.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…