//some 3rd party need geo

Setting up Home Network

iconoclast 18:31 17 Jan 05

I'm trying to set up a home network (two PCs and a notebook) which are all successfully connecting to the internet via a DSL-604 Wireless ADSL Router. After set-up (using the MS XP Wizard), the 'network places' for one PC shows icons for all three computers, the notebook shows an icon for the router itself and the other PC shows no icons at all. If I search for the home network, I get an error message indicating that, although the network exists (nominally at least), I can't access it because I do not have the right 'permissions'. This is odd, since I am the Administrator for all three machines. What can I do to sort this out?

georgemac 18:36 17 Jan 05

which wizard are you talking about - the wireless networking wizard or the computer network wizard?

You still have to set permissions for the drives if you want to move files around. If you click on one of the drives, select sharing and security and it will allow you to share the contents of this drive with others.

That is as far as my networking knowledge goes though, I can move files wirelessly between the 2 pc's which is all I want.

Someone more expert may advise further hopefully.

LeadingMNMs 18:37 17 Jan 05

The first thing to check is that firewalls are not blocking the internal network traffic.

iconoclast 18:57 17 Jan 05

Thanks george, but I'm not even in a position to turn on file sharing....

iconoclast 19:14 17 Jan 05

firewalls disabled...still no joy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…