Setting up hard drives and cd/dvd drive

aca 08:14 12 Jan 11

I have "combined" 2 pcs with parts from each. I can get to boot with two hard drives on 1 ide channel, with 1 st as master the other as slave.
However when I connect the atapi cd drive the pc wont boot and think ittries to go for network boot then fails. This happens even if I use another cd drive.

I remov the CD drive and it boots ok!

In bios settings both hard drives are recognised ok, and boot order also ok.

So at a loss. Will go back for the umpteenth time and check the jumpers. And also dig out the mobo board. There are two ide channels and not sure it makes a difference which one I use for the hard drives, and for the cd drive. Thanks

jamesd1981 08:38 12 Jan 11

the hard drives should be connected to ide slot 1 this is usually coloured blue, the dvd drive should be connected to ide slot 2 usually black, if not coloured ide 1 is on the left and ide 2 on the right.

aca 08:52 12 Jan 11

thanks both yellow so may have mixed.

kjrider 09:04 12 Jan 11

Try changing the jumpers to 'Cable select' in place of master & slave.

KJR

aca 12:38 12 Jan 11

Tried the different channels and no good, in fact now it doesnt wonr boot even with the CD drive not connected.

Tried last night with cable select and didnt work but will try later again.

many thanks both

robin_x 13:49 12 Jan 11

I had minor probs a year but fixed them quickly.
Can't remember what now.

I know I found a good and detailed explanation of master/slave, cable select, types of ribbon cable and position of drives on cable (master at end or in middle)

It may have been this guide

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:50 12 Jan 11

Boot drive (with operating system) set as MASTER on IDE1 at end of cable

Second drive set as SLAVE on IDE1 at middle of cable

CD drive set as MASTER on IDE2 at end of cable

any other hard drive or CD drive can be set as Slave on IDE2 middle of cable.

If set like this it won't matter if you have mix of 40 wire or 80 wire cables
Cable select only appears to work correctly if you have 80 wire cables

aca 16:41 12 Jan 11

Fruitbat

pretty sure thats how its set but will def check in half hr or so and report back.

I'm assuming as the CD drive will be automatically set.

Also the hard drive that I want to boot from is not the drive that was previously within the PC with the mobo. Assumed that this wouldnt cause problem as bios would auto detect and then allow boot to take place?

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:50 12 Jan 11

"the hard drive that I want to boot from is not the drive that was previously within the PC with the mobo"

This WILL probably cause problems as the drivers are all wrong for the current machine but I would have thought it should have at least tried to start to boot into windows.
Assuming XP? then usually get round this problem by doing a repair install.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Once you have got it to boot the next problem is XP may see the license key as NON Genuine as the mobo , chip and RAM are all different.

aca 17:20 12 Jan 11

Ok will set the other hard drive that was with the mobo Im trying to use as the master. To avoid reinstall/repair

aca 18:09 12 Jan 11

success it worked booting from the "right" hard drive.

thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now