Setting up Graphics

pppc 15:00 23 May 04

I have recently installed Windows 98SE onto a Gateway computer that previously ran NT4. The Monitor is labelled Vivitron 17, on the back is says it was manufactured by Sony and the model no. is CPD-17F23. The display in NT4 was excellent.

Now it has only VGA - 16 colours, resolution 640x480. I have no access to the inside - I can't work a screwdriver - but a friend may open it up for me in three or four weeks.

Whay do I need to do/know to get the monitor working under SVGA?? - this is an area about which I know nothing.

I tried offering it an Acer 15P 'driver'; I have since tried some of the Sony 'drivers' - this particluar model is not shown when I Add/Remover Hardware but I've tried most of the '17xxx' drivers and those that offer 1024 and 1800 resolution. Modems/Settings currently shows "SuperVGA 1024 x 768 on Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)".

And where could I go to learn something of the mysteries of graphics???

Diodorus Siculus 15:02 23 May 04

What you more likely need is the graphics card driver; click here
for Everest which will ID it for you.

Fruit Bat 15:15 23 May 04

Diodorus Siculus is right what you need is the drivers for the display adapter graphics card or onboard graphic on your motherboard.

Do you have the original disc that came with your mobo? drivers may be on there.

Graham ® 15:19 23 May 04

Don't let your friend open the monitor - dangerous voltages even when switched off.

pppc 21:37 23 May 04

Thank you all for your responses - including Gudgulph.

Graham - thanks for the warning - my friend is a computer professional and I think he knows what he is doing. I'd never touch the interior myself!

I will follow up the Everest and Belarc links. It will be a few days before I go back to the computer.

Thank you all again.

pppc 19:36 02 Jun 04

Resolved - I got the name of the card with the aid of EVEREST. So now Hannah has a 1024 x 768 display and I am favourite!!

Many thanks to all that responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…