Setting up Graphics

pppc 15:00 23 May 04

I have recently installed Windows 98SE onto a Gateway computer that previously ran NT4. The Monitor is labelled Vivitron 17, on the back is says it was manufactured by Sony and the model no. is CPD-17F23. The display in NT4 was excellent.

Now it has only VGA - 16 colours, resolution 640x480. I have no access to the inside - I can't work a screwdriver - but a friend may open it up for me in three or four weeks.

Whay do I need to do/know to get the monitor working under SVGA?? - this is an area about which I know nothing.

I tried offering it an Acer 15P 'driver'; I have since tried some of the Sony 'drivers' - this particluar model is not shown when I Add/Remover Hardware but I've tried most of the '17xxx' drivers and those that offer 1024 and 1800 resolution. Modems/Settings currently shows "SuperVGA 1024 x 768 on Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)".

And where could I go to learn something of the mysteries of graphics???

gudgulf 16:31 23 May 04

You will need the correct drivers for the graphics card. It might help if you can post the model of the pc rather than the monitor

If you download Something like Belarc advisor click here and run it on the Gateway pc--it should identify the motherboard and other components fitted.Post the results and someone will point you to the correct drivers.

pppc 19:35 02 Jun 04

Resolved - I got the name of the card with the aid of EVEREST. So now Hannah has a 1024 x 768 display and I am favourite!!

Many thanks to all that responded.

PeterC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…