Setting Up File & Print Server / HD Partition

B33J 12:07 23 Jan 08

I have a standalone PC at home with a 320 gig blank hard drive. I want to set it up and connect it up to my network so that I can use it as a file and print server so that I have a store for all my files and I can wirelessly use my laptop to print stuff off from anywhere in the house.

I want to partition the drive into 2 sections:

1) Windows and any software.
2) File Storage.

I need information so that I can partition the drive and then set up the file and print sharing over the network. I know this should be quite easy but I have never done it before.

Also, is there a way that I can access the network from outside via an internet connection?

Many thanks,

Pete

cream. 12:24 23 Jan 08

is to partition the hard drive and load windows.

You haven't mentioned which version of windows you are going to use but if it's XP or Vista you partition the drive as you configure the windows installation.

You must set the computer to boot from the cdrom drive and start the installation.
When it gives you the option to load windows onto the drive, you must delete that partition. The option is to delete with a D.
You must then rebuild the drive on the next page, this just means pick the size ( in Mb's ) of what size you want your C drive.

It will then finish the installation of windows. load on your drivers and software.

Then right click my computer and pick manage. then go to disk management and open it. You C drive will show with a lot of unallocated disk space to the right. Right click on this space and create the new partition and format the drive.

Put a tick in the quick format section to format the drive in seconds.

When done, post back.

B33J 13:48 23 Jan 08

I'm using Win XP by the way. Sorry I meant to mention that in the original post.

B33J 11:19 24 Jan 08

Right I have done that. Thanks.

woodchip 11:35 24 Jan 08

You need all computers switched on and any printers that you intend to use on the Network, then Go to Control Panel on your XP Computer, Double Click Network Wizard fill the boxs in as they come up, create a Floppy disc or use a USB Flash Drive to use on the other computers that are going to be connected. Use the floppy in other Computer's It creates one file on it. Just double click the file to setup that computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…