Setting up Encryption ob Broadband Router

slimboy fat 17:44 02 Sep 08

Hi, we have had Wi Fi for over 1 year, never encrypted it! How would i do this as I cannot find original Set Up CD. It is a Belkin CABLE Wireless G Plus Router and the ISP is currently Virgin Media. The Router was not provided by the ISP. Should I contact ISP for help or can I do this myself?

Jimbolena 18:59 02 Sep 08

Hi slimboy

I recently did this and it was pretty painless.
I don't think you need the CD.
You need to get to the router home page via your browser and look around for the relevant option.

My router is on click here and I just dug around to find the encryption options. It was in the Interface Setup tab - but it will be different on yours. I added a long key.

Then I went round and plugged the key into all the PCs/Wii/DS/laptops hanging off the wireless router.

If you google "encrypt router" you will find a quadrillion pages on what options to choose.

Jimbolena 19:01 02 Sep 08

That link on the above post is http followed by // then 192.168.16.1

I didn't realise it would actually make it a link. How do you post an IP address?

brundle 23:49 02 Sep 08

192.168.2.1 for Belkin kit, under the Security heading in the list on the left hand side.

brundle 23:58 02 Sep 08

login is

admin

no password

slimboy fat 17:50 03 Sep 08

Encrypted fine thankyou both. Do I do the same for the other Laptops in the house- if I have encrypted the router will they connect?

brundle 18:31 03 Sep 08

They will if you put the passphrase you chose in when you connect to your own wireless network.

slimboy fat 18:36 03 Sep 08

Tried to connect with browser putting in the Belkin address but denied access - so cannot get on internet to load the encryption... help.. should I try again and revert back?

slimboy fat 23:14 03 Sep 08

This is becoming a nightmare! I have a laptop which will not connect to wireless and doesn't show any available networks, daughter says she hasn't been able to connect for some time -doh! I have tried a system restore to no avail. The error message on the internet page says it maybe the wireless switch not turned on? No external switch as it was wifi enabled when I bought it. Any suggestions as to what I should do to regain wireless connectivity. The laptop is Fujitsu Amilo Pro model M52176 if this helps?

brundle 23:18 03 Sep 08

"cannot get on internet to load the encryption."
A PC > router connection is logically entirely separate from a router > ISP connection. The router alone is responsible for the encryption when you connect wirelessly. Does the laptop show any other wireless networks near you? Does it connect to other wireless networks elsewhere?

slimboy fat 08:04 04 Sep 08

No network connections appear at all - my own laptop shows at least four local wirelessnetworks so I think it must be something wrong with the wi fi card inside the laptop perhaps?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…