Setting DVDROM/CDRW as slave

Ade_1 21:33 09 May 06

Hi, i just installed a new DVDRW into my machine but with both the DVROM/CDRW and DVDRW connected it doesnt pick any up, i assumed it was because they need setting as master and slave, or just master however i dont have a lead in my computer to do that. I was wondering if it was possible to buy one and where do i connect it to on the motherbaord?

Thanks in advance
Aidan

VoG II 21:39 09 May 06

There should be a switch on the back of the drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:56 09 May 06
  Totally-braindead 22:36 09 May 06

They call them jumpers, one thing to mention some DVD writers do not like being a slave. No idea why but its true, mine even came with a leaflet saying it might not work if I set it as slave. So while you're in the PC set the DVD writer as master on IDE 2 and the other optical drive as a slave on either cable.

Totally-braindead 22:38 09 May 06

I've just reread this Ade_1 and I thought the same as the others. Are you saying you have one cable connecting the hard drive and the optical drive to the motherboard and you need another to connect the new optical drive. Is that what you want?

Totally-braindead 22:38 09 May 06

I've just reread this Ade_1 and I thought the same as the others. Are you saying you have one cable connecting the hard drive and the optical drive to the motherboard and you need another to connect the new optical drive. Is that what you want?

Totally-braindead 22:40 09 May 06

Sorry for the double posting, if its the ribbon cable you're talking about here they are, they are called IDE cables click here

Ade_1 18:12 10 May 06

Hi, sorry i didnt gte to reply earlier, i have been rather busy. I have got it working. I read one of the links Fruit posted and did it that way. Thanks everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…