Setting up a dual OS

Siberian Winter 22:16 01 Mar 03

I have recently had my pc upgraded to Windows XP from 98SE. However, I am having some problems with some programs running under the new system. I'd like to reinstall 98SE as a second OS. I have seen the comprehensive step-by-step instructions by Flecc, but a) I don't have Partition Magic, and b) I have two hard drives, so is there a simple way to install it on the second drive without messing about with partitions? I did try it by booting from the W98 CDROM, but I got so many warning messages I abandoned the attempt. Any help most appreciated. Thanks.

AndySD 22:21 01 Mar 03
  flecc 00:25 02 Mar 03

There is a very sneaky and simple way to do it, but it's very unorthodox!

On the power connector to the first hard drive, cut the thick red wire and extend the two cut ends by soldering or with crimp or screw connectors. Take the two wires to the two connections on a simple on/off switch, mounting it somewhere convenient.

You can get miniature switches from Maplin which could mount in a ventilation hole at the rear of the case with little or no enlargement of the hole.

Switch off the first hard drive and install the Windows 98 in the usual way. Now, when the switch is made you'll boot into XP. Switch off before booting or when the screen blacks out when rebooting and you'll boot into the 98.

With this arrangement, keep your files on the second hard drive so that they're available at all times, reserving the first hard drive space for backups.

This method is a real problem solver.

It solves the problem of adding 98 to XP.

It solves the problem of not having an XP installation CD, since the system can just be copied over. Normally a copied over Xp won't boot from a hard drive configured as slave, but with this system, XP sees the second as master when the first hard drive is switched out.

It solves the problem of adding Linux and having to get and configure a Linux boot manager like Lilo.

It also solves the Invalid Boot Disk problem that plagues many users with a "lazy" hard drive. If the first hard drive boot info isn't picked up i time, the system just goes on to boot the second drive without giving that dreaded message.

I've been using this system to boot Lindows with other OS's since last November and it's proved completely troublefree and very convenient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…