Setting Up a Dell Computer

Border View 14:05 PM 02 Aug 12
Answered

I am helping my sister in law set up her new Dell Tower (over the phone). She is currently burning the back up DVDs.

We have a question about McAfee Anti-virus which comes pre-installed on the new Dell. In the past on her other computer she has used Avast and is happy with that.

Can she just go into Control Panel>Programs and uninstall this McAfee or does she have to use it? When uninstalled she would then go to Avast web site and download that.

We look forward to your responses and advice.

PS as soon as she is connected to the internet she will be downloading Revo which we found invaluable on her laptop.

Nontek 14:24 PM 02 Aug 12

Your sis-in-law is not obliged to use McAfee, she can put whatever she wants on her computer.

Border View 14:37 PM 02 Aug 12
Answer

Thanks Nontek. Is it best to use Revo to uninstall? We wondered if it was similar to Norton to get rid of.

Border View 15:36 PM 02 Aug 12

Got rid of McAfee by uninstalling via control panel. Downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast. More than a happy bunny now everything up and running.

Thanks for your help Nontek

Nontek 15:42 PM 02 Aug 12

You're welcome, and Yes Revo is the best uninstaller!

I too use MSE and Revo!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…