Setting CD-RW write speeds in Nero or XP

ade.h 21:56 12 Feb 05

I have an Asus 48x/16x CD writer and some Imation 10x-24x CD-RWs.

Using either Nero 5.5 or XP's own CD writing wizard, I cannot get my drive to write at the correct speed, ie. at least 10x and up to 16x. Consequently, every write attempt fails.

Nero Drive Speed only affects read speeds and the speed option in the CD writer's properties has only 2x, 4x and fastest; it's set to fastest, so should run at 16x, but apparently isn't.

Can anyone tell me how to get my drive to record to these CD-RWs successfully? I would happily use a free alternative to Nero if I can't do it with my existing software.

Diodorus Siculus 21:59 12 Feb 05

Free Alternative: deepburner from

stalion 22:03 12 Feb 05

Don't like to knock makes of disks but if you still have problems try a different make

ade.h 22:16 12 Feb 05

Diodorus - Yeah, I was wondering about Deep Burner, since I have a cover disc copy somewhere in the archives. Will it be able to write to re-writeable discs at whatever speed I select?

Stalion - I hope I don't have to; I've only just bought them and they are the only CDRWs I have ever found that are as fast as my drive. Most seem to be 4x, which kind of makes fast drives a bit pointless.

ade.h 22:41 12 Feb 05

Anyone out there who knows how to make sure my drive runs at 16x?

stalion 22:48 12 Feb 05

look in nero toolkit there is a facility to test your drive speeds

ade.h 22:53 12 Feb 05

I've tried that; it runs for quite a few minutes, then fails to finish. Assuming that my previous writing attempts had ruined the new disc, I tried it on an old TDK 4x CD-RW that I know is OK; same result, so probably not the fault of the new discs.

Totally-braindead 23:09 12 Feb 05

Only suggestion I can offer is try a different make of disks. From my experience Nero can be conservative about write speeds, as an example I have some Datasafe rated at 48x and they burn at 48x but I also have some Maxells rated at 32x and they will only burn at 16x. I presume Nero does this to stop you making coasters, unless its the disk manufacturers labelling them incorrectly. If you can't try this I suggest you try another burner program and see how that gets on. Personally I no longer use CDRW disks anyway, I find they don't keep as well as CDRs as well as not being as reliable and CDRs are so cheap I can't be bothered with the mucking about.

ade.h 23:19 12 Feb 05

1 - I need CD-RWs. I don't want to throw away a dozen CD-Rs when I next back up my data and I can't afford a DVD writer.

2 - The Imation discs are the only ones I have apart from that old 4x TDK I mentioned.I had trouble tracking down fast CD-RWs; I don't know of any other brands that are suitable for 16x.

I will try Deep Burner, I guess, but I can't see why my drive won't run at 16x and won't write to the Imation CD-RWs. If Windows is incapable of supporting it, Nero certainly ought to be, since it came with the drive in the first place.

FelixTCat 23:24 12 Feb 05

Nero reads the speed from the disks. The disks are telling Nero that they are 4x, so Nero is burning at 4x

ade.h 23:31 12 Feb 05

Are you sure? How is Nero reading the discs, and how come it could be so wrong? And how come Windows won't do any better even though the drive speed is set to Fastest?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…