Setting up a broadband Wireless Network

Swoozie 12:49 01 Dec 06

I want to change from a wired to a wireless home network. My desktop PC does not have ethernet facilities (currently use USB wired ADSL Router).

We have just purchased 2 further laptops both with wireless facilities. What do I need to buy to enable all three computers to use the internet?

Does being with BT Broadband make any difference to what type of wireless router I need?

Many thanks. I am completely new to all this so please make the answers as simple to understand as possible!

dms05 13:14 01 Dec 06

Do you want all 3 PC's to connect by wireless?

In the past I have used a WiFi ADSL Modem Router to connect a Dell desktop via USB cable and several laptops by WiFi. However I now use LAN for the Dell and continue with WiFi for the laptops.

We are BT Broadband users and haven't had any problems with 3rd party equipment.

I'd buy a WiFi ADSL Modem Router and use either inbuilt mini-pci WiFi cards in the laptops or PCMCIA WiFi cards. USB WiFi dongles seem to be more of a problem but

JJCUK 13:17 01 Dec 06

A wireless broadband router is all you should need

Swoozie 13:59 01 Dec 06

Yes, I would like the 2 laptops to go wireless...so a WiFi ADSL Modem Router is all I would need?

Is this connected by USB cable to the main desktop PC?

For the 2 Laptops to go "on-line" would the desktop PC always have to be connected to the internet at the same time?

Thanks.

oldbeefer2 15:17 01 Dec 06

You could get a wireless card for the PC if you wanted to (for convenience and speed), but wired will work OK. The router sits there waiting for anything to connect to it, so the PC does not have to be online for the laptops to connect.

JJCUK 16:35 01 Dec 06

The router can be USB connection to PC , but usually better with Ethernet.Network interface card (Nic) is only a few pounds and simple to install

JJCUK 16:37 01 Dec 06

I should say though most modern PC's already have inbuilt ethernet connections

ed-0 17:50 01 Dec 06

" Yes, I would like the 2 laptops to go wireless...so a WiFi ADSL Modem Router is all I would need? "

For the two laptops, yes.

" Is this connected by USB cable to the main desktop PC? "

No, the wired connection from the router to a PC is via an ethernet cable, so you would need to make the desktop wireless or insert a £6 network card [ easy to do ].

" For the 2 Laptops to go "on-line" would the desktop PC always have to be connected to the internet at the same time? "

No.

When you have configured the WiFi router to your internet service providers settings, the router will always be connected to the internet. You can then access the router from any PC or laptop. You just need any one of the three to be swiched on to access the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5