Setting up broadband router, how?

Sion 11:31 09 May 03

Hello all, i have searched the message board for this topic but couldn't find anything that answered my question effectively.

This July i'm moving into a new house, and 4 of us want to share a broadband connection of a cable modem. Now, do i have to setup a home network to do this, or can it be achieved with the use of one broadband router. All PC's have network cards (or they will have) and all are operating at least Windows ME.

Does anyone know how to set this up?

Help is greatly appreciated.

AL D. 11:37 09 May 03
  SEASHANTY 16:08 09 May 03

And also take a look at the NTL engineers website. Its a mine of information. <click here>
Basically you will need a 4 port router which connects to the cable modem and 4 Cat5 patch cables connecting each computer to the router. This is the cheapest way rather than going the wireless route. Each cable connects from the router to the ethernet card in the individual PC. The router will act as a firewall but additionally each PC will need to have a firewall connected for security. Checkout the website for further info on cloning the MAC address, if necessary, I myself use a Linksys BEFSR41 four port router although only run 2 PC's. This router will allow you to clone the MAC address. Its cheapest from DABS.

Sion 17:04 09 May 03

So do i need a network hub as well as a router, or can i simply plug each PC into the router, via an ethernet card?

Pilch.... 18:08 09 May 03

Routers can have switches (Intelligent Hubs) built in

billyliv 18:09 09 May 03

Hi, Your Cable Modem will connect to the WAN port on your router using a straight through cat 5 ethernet cable. You will then have to connect each machine to the router using straight through cat 5 cables to the ethernet cards in each machine. There are many ways to do this. I asked my missus if she fancied having the room decorated (Where my main computer was coupled to the cable). She said OK. So I run a channel in the plaster, Run 4 cables through a plastic pipe in the channel. ( In the trade it is called chasing) up underneath the floorboards upstairs and re-plastered the channel. ( Then redecorated) The next time that I decorate I will instal ethernet wall sockets in every room.
Cheers, Bill

britto 18:14 09 May 03

Sion,no need for hub with this,setting up is easy with supplied cd.

Sion 20:10 09 May 03

Cheers everyone, your help is much appreciated.

SEASHANTY 13:52 11 May 03

Also as a further thought on this system. The use of a router with ethernet connection cables will allow ANY PC of the four to individually access the internet without any of the others having to be switched on. i.e. it eliminates having to have a "gateway" PC switched on. Before anybody tells me that Broadband is 24 access anyway I would point out that leaving a PC running 24/7 when not needed is both wasteful of cash and energy. It also invites hackers and spam.

barrie_g 15:41 11 May 03

to do this you will need to buy a router with a built in modem sometimes called a DSL ROUTER.

SEASHANTY 15:36 12 May 03

Yes barrie_g thats what the LINKSYS BEFSR41 Cable/DSL router is. But the modem it is connected to is the standalone NTL:home cable modem. The Linksys router doesn't have the modem in it - it's just a switchable router. To be correct it isn't NTL's modem either - cos its made by "AMBIT" info at
<click here>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac