Setting Up Blueyonder Wireless Network

nodrog2 05:52 16 Dec 05

I shall today receive a laptop computer which I would like to connect wirelessly to my Telewest Blueyonder Cable internet service.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of how to do this is almost non existent.

I understand that I shall need a router but can anyone recommend a particular model to me?

Do I need to do anything with my desktop PC which will remain with its wired connection (at least for the time being)?

What do I need to do about security of the wireless network or is this built in to the router?

Is there anything else which is important to know?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thnak you

mgmcc 07:59 16 Dec 05

You need a "stand-alone" Wireless Router, often described as a Cable/DSL Router. Don't confuse the reference to DSL with a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" which is *NOT* suitable for use with Telewest Cable.

<<< Do I need to do anything with my desktop PC which will remain with its wired connection (at least for the time being)? >>>

Not if you currently connect to the Cable Modem by ethernet. If you connect by USB, you will need to change to an ethernet connection between the PC and the router, which means the PC must have a network adapter installed.

<<< What do I need to do about security of the wireless network or is this built in to the router? >>>

The router's Wireless settings will include options for encrypting your wireless connections and MAC address filtering, which lets you select which network adapters are allowed to connect to the router.

I use this Buffalo wireless router with Telewest - click here

Other suitable models:

Belkin - click here=
click here=

Linksys - click here=

D-Link - click here=

Netgear - click here=

BH34 09:06 16 Dec 05

This may help to click here

nodrog2 14:11 16 Dec 05

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it go and see how I get on.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017