Setting up a Billion router

Bike-it 15:23 26 Sep 10

I am setting up a Billion 7800N router and under the wlan heading are the wireless settings, in there is the option to enable or disable the Radius 802.1x what is this? also what is the difference between WPA, WPA2, WPA/WPA2-PSK, WEP?

mgmcc 15:40 26 Sep 10

Disable Radius 802.1x because your wireless network won't have a Radius server.

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) was the original method of securing wireless networks, but it is easily broken. Only use it if the PC's wireless adapter doesn't support WPA.

WPA (WiFi Protected Access) is much more secure. The setting is often WPA-PSK (Pre-Shared Key) with TKIP encryption.

WPA2 is a next generation and more secure implementation of WPA.

Bike-it 15:49 26 Sep 10

Can i just change from one option to the other and keep the same password? is shared key your password?
Thanks mgmcc.

mgmcc 16:03 26 Sep 10

WEP keys must be of a specific length and ideally using hexadecimal characters, but I'm assuming you'll use WPA or WPA2.

In the router's wireless settings, try setting WPA/WPA2-PSK and set the encryption to TKIP (the alternative is probably AES). The password, which you make up, should be between 8 and 63 characters and can include spaces. Make a note of it, because it needs to be entered in the PC when you first connect to the router. It will then be saved in a profile so you connect automatically in future.

Bike-it 16:07 26 Sep 10

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…