Setting up a Belkin wireless for a friend

montyburns 11:48 02 Jan 07

Trying to help a friend set up a wireless connection to a Toshiba laptop, using a wireless router/modem from Belkin, which I think is the "Wireless G+ MIMO Modem Router"

Got to the point where yo had to enter 192.168.2.1 to set up the security etc, and got no evidence that it was connecting to the 'net, even when hard wired. The only way we could access the 'net to do this was to connect up a Speedtouch modem. Once this was unplugged however, it wasn't "seeing" the Belkin again.

The disc that came with the Belkin has documents but no software, drivers etc.

Are we being thick? I'd like to think not, but how do we get the laptop to "see" the modem?

Thanks for any help you good folk can offer!

mgmcc 12:32 02 Jan 07

<<< Got to the point where yo had to enter 192.168.2.1 to set up the security etc, and got no evidence that it was connecting to the 'net, even when hard wired.>>>

You are *NOT* connecting to the internet, you are accessing the router's built-in web-based interface by typing its IP address into a web browser ;)

If typing 192.168.2.1 into your browser doesn't open its Setup pages, it may be that its DHCP server hasn't allocated an IP address to your network adapter. Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the box that opens, click "Use the following IP address" and enter these settings:

IP address - 192.168.2.5

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.2.1 (the router's IP address)

Once everything has been configured in the router, you should normally set the PC's Local Area Connection settings back to getting IP and DNS server addresses automatically.

Strawballs 22:59 02 Jan 07
  montyburns 23:28 02 Jan 07

Gulp!

I don't remember our own wireless network being anything like this complicated!

I think they are sorted now, as another, more technical friend, has helped them!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…