Setting up Administrator/user accounts on XP home

Rubia 16:49 21 Dec 04

my new system was recently set up by a friend who logged three seperate user accounts as Administrators which I now understand to be incorrect and open to infections. I have reclassed the three users as Limited accounts with an additional account opened as administrator and I have opened my antivirus, spyware, adaware etc as desktop icons on this new account for regularly scanning. Problems::::
Broadband disconnects each time we switch users. Can this be overcome? Do I need to delete all references to the anti virus etc devices from the limited accounts? I take it that all users will have access to all the programmes installed on the PC but only the Administrator will have power to amend them. I've read up as much as I can understand (you've guessed it - I am relatively new to computers) and find all the instructions so complicated and jargon heavy at this stage. If anyone can offer further guidance and suggestions I will be glad to hear from you. Many thanks.

spikeychris 16:54 21 Dec 04

Eileen, is your connection ADSL? if so click here and save to desktop. Double click it and run the script.

TomJerry 18:40 21 Dec 04

if you log out a user account, all programs stopped so does BB "dialup" program.

you can get around this by using a modem-router which will do all donkey dialup works £27.02 Ebuyer 4 Port SPI Firewall ADSL Modem Router click here

if you have any kid, you will soon find out they do not want limited account because many games can onky be installed and played by administrator account

spikeychris 19:08 21 Dec 04

If Rubia uses the "keepras active" download it will keep the connection alive. There are other ways without having to pay anything. You can share a connection via the network connections .From Control Panel, launch Network Connections. Select the connection you want to share and click on Change settings of this connection in the pane on the left. On the Advanced tab, check the boxes "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" and "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet". Now the connection will stay open through a Fast User Switch.

Rubia 19:58 21 Dec 04

Followed your instructions - worked a treat. Many thanks. One more point. We use broadband for about 2 hours per day off and on. Is it better to leave switched on permanently or close down each time. What are the wear and tear, power conumption implications ?. Thanks

spikeychris 20:07 21 Dec 04

Rubia, which fix did you use? Are you asking whether you should leave the computer switched on all the time or to have BB activated permanently?

Rubia 21:21 21 Dec 04

I used the "share a connection via the network connections....." as you suggested. I close down after each period of use and the green lights on the modem go out which I assume disconnects from the ISP. I was just wondering if this is the best way or to leave the computer and connection permantly on. It is a bit noisy however.

Irishman 21:52 21 Dec 04

Turn the computer off and on as often as you like. It really won't make any difference to either the computer,modem or broadband connection

As far as user accounts go if one of your kids wants to install a game do it for them. Go into Control Panel and change their account to Admin temporarily until you have installed the game and then change it back to Limited.

A virus checker will scan the whole computer regardless of whether the accounts are Admin or Limited.

Have a look here for some good advice on maintenance.

click here

Rubia 23:43 21 Dec 04

Thanks for that - the Information Week site is very interesting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…