Setting up an ‘ad hoc’ wireless home network

Manno 09:26 11 Mar 03

Currently we have 2 standalone PC’s at home.

The primary PC is an HP Pavilion 743.uk with Intel Pentium 4- 2.53GHz processor, 256MB DDR-SDRAM, 60GB Ultra DMA hard drive, 10/100BT interface and 6 USB 2.0 ports. The OS is Windows XP Home Edition. This is connected to broadband via an ASDL modem with Freeserve as the ISP. It is situated in the study.

The second PC is an older Tiny PC with Intel Celeron 366MHz processor, 64MB FAST SD RAM, 4.3GB Ultra DMA hard drive and 1 (1.x?) USB port. The OS is Windows Millennium Edition. It is situated in my daughter’s bedroom directly above the study.

I want to link the 2 PC’s so that the second machine can access Internet Broadband through the first machine. The main networked activity would be general internet queries and chat line. The traffic volume would therefore be quite low.

To avoid making holes in walls and leaving unsightly wires exposed I would like to use wireless connectivity making use of the USB ports. As far as I know I will just need to purchase and install 2 wireless network USB adapters then set up the network using Windows Network Set-Up Wizard.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is the above sensible and feasible?

and if so

2. Which wireless USB network adapters should I buy from where?

medicine hat 09:57 11 Mar 03

It is very sensible and feasible - well, I would say that as I have done something very similar. Wireless networking with USB adapters is pretty easy but can be frustrating when things don't immediately work as its not obvious what the problem is.

click here for a good thread on the basics of how to set it up with all the static IP addresses etc (192.168.0.x)

I use sitecom USB adapters WL-003 click here which I got from PC World. They have quite alot of wireless networking kit in there at the moment. Just don't bother asking for their help or advice. The WL-008 kit (which contains 2 WL-003s) seems to have all the software you would need (I say 'seems' as what came with the WL-003 was rather lacking)

The Windows Wizards should sort everything out for you but if you do encounter any problems then just post back here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…