Seting up a network

cambois 08:35 13 Apr 03

I am trying to set up a home network between 4 machines.
3 of the computers are using windows 98se and 1 XP
profecional. The 3 with 98se are working fine but the one
with XP can't be seen by the rest I have used the network
wizard but this still dos'nt work. The computers are
conected through a router/hub I can access the internet
(broadband) through the router/hub without any problems.
Please help.

medicine hat 08:50 13 Apr 03

Have you set an IP address for the XP in TCP/IP Properties, or is it trying to obtain it automatically?

cambois 08:58 13 Apr 03

trying to obtain the automatically.

what TCP/IP address should I use?

hellred 09:21 13 Apr 03

which PC is the gateway, i assume there is no server. It should be the XP mashine and then set the network properties of the other mashines and specify the IP address of the gateway PC.
Lets hear what mashine can see what and have you mapped the drives ??
The XP will ask you to create a disk for the network setup on all client mashines, did you install that on the clients as this sets up the dhcp ?? This assigns all IP addresses on Boot.

medicine hat 14:04 13 Apr 03

All my networked PCs have individual IP address in the range 192.168.0.x ie 192.168.0.1 and onwards with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 I have found this easier than letting them select their own IPs. I though don't have a router/hub so you would have to work out what would need to be set to use that, perhaps the default gateway

The Pretender 14:21 13 Apr 03

Have you checked that all your firewalls are switched off?(particularly on the XP machine)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…