set up wireless network on AOL 512 broadband

goonerbill © ® 11:46 08 Jul 05

friend wants to set up a wireless network on AOL 512mb broadband connection. main pc downstairs, second upstairs in bedroom. what routermodem would be best to enable her to set this up, if its possible (AOL says you can't do it). has pc connected to net via BT voyager 105 usb adsl modem at the moment.

thanks in advance for your help.

01chris 16:55 09 Jul 05

My friend had to upgrade to the most expensive service and buy a special router from aol to do this

Taff36 13:42 15 Jul 05

Don`t listen to AOL. What they mean is you have to pay for their top service (An extra £7 a month) and use their wireless kit. They actually mean they won`t give you any support unless you do!

I`ve done it twice with an AOL account using a D-Link router/modem. I think any router/modem will do it. All you have to do is go into the expert settings on the AOL log in and tell the computer to look for a different modem. In the router you just set up a connection to [email protected] with your password.

With multiple computers only one can be linked to AOL through the AOL software interface at any one time. Any second connection will result in the connection being dropped, temporarily I think. This is not a geat hardship because as long as the first connection is made which activates the connection any other computer simply opens Internet Explorer and they are on-line automatically.

You will need a router/modem and I would suggest USB Wireless adapters for each of the computers. Post back if you need further recommendations. (Dump AOL would be my first!)

Taff36 10:23 17 Jul 05

click here I have already made some recommendations myself and given you links to other knowledgable forum members` posts on the subject. I know mine works with AOL but don`t be swayed by that I`m sure any of them will. Have a read through all the threads and note the recommendations then check out the prices and availability.

You will need a wireless router modem and two USB Wireless Adapters. If my bundle is still available from PCW you need that and a second adapter. They don`t sell the matching D-Link adapter but any of the Belkin one`s should do it.

Incidentally, the upstairs computer - how far is it away from the master phone socket downstairs and how many floors & walls would the signal have to travel through. Is it an old house or modern construction? (Solid walls or stud partitioning) I don`t think this will make too much difference but thought I`d ask.

I`ll be out for much of today so it is important you post back any questions on the forum using this post! Mark the other as resolved. There are plenty of others who will answer the questions for you. You shouldn`t really send a personal e-mail unless invited to do so - Forum Etiquette.

Above all remember the tip about PCW. If it is available on their website as "Collect from Store" you can go through the process on line at the cheaper (sometimes) prices and collect from one near you. Good Luck - I`ll catch up with you later!

goonerbill © ® 14:28 17 Jul 05

thanks Taff36. will sift through the links you have given me and close my postings as resolved for the moment. won't be setting up the wireless network for another 3/4 weeks and wanted to get as much info on the subject as possible rather than leave it to the last minute.

on the question of where the second pc is, there is only one floor involved and in a straight line the 2 pc's are roughly 6/7 mtrs apart.

thanks again for your assistance and will not email directly, sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5