set things so AVG dials up

palinka 22:48 19 Nov 04

I know this is a simple matter but I can't remember how to do it....I've just upgraded a friend's AVG to version 7 and now, when he clicks on "Check for updates" he gets a message "Internet connection has failed." Before the upgrade the connection box would appear and he would click connect (he's on a dial-up). What is it that I've forgotten to check/uncheck/etc? OS is XP.

Djohn 23:43 19 Nov 04

Have you allowed the firewall to access AVG?

click here and scroll down to the bottom of the page. You want the last "Orange" file download for firewalls. Gives instructions in there if you need them.

palinka 09:41 20 Nov 04

Thaanks for this; but still no joy 'cos discovered another problem tho -there's no sign of Windows Firewall on his computer (eg no icon for it in Control Panel; no mention iof it in Search for files & folders). But his ISP still shows up as Firewalled.

palinka 14:03 20 Nov 04

now dialling up OK thanks to this thread - click here

But I still want to find/reinstall MS XP Firewall.
I know other firewalls are better but this is for an elderly friend who would find those hard to cope with.
Please can anyone suggest a way of restoring XP Firewall to his computer?

palinka 14:04 20 Nov 04

I'll tick resolved and start a new thread. Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…