Set processor affinity

Howling Mad Murdock 15:41 26 Aug 06

I just put in a AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 Dual Core processor, and i've been told that in task manager there is this command called "Set processor affinity" for processes. I don't see this option in task manager, is there anything special that needs to be done/downloaded?

Thanks in advanced.

jimv7 15:53 26 Aug 06

I don't know about affinity but on the amd site is a download for the cpu.

from the site:

"AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction."

click here

Howling Mad Murdock 16:37 26 Aug 06

Yeah, i've tried the driver download and that optimizer. Still don't see the options.

Howling Mad Murdock 17:27 26 Aug 06

Hmm, i've downloaded some benchmark software, only seems to be detecting the one core. Anyone know a way to verify that both cores are being used? I'm running XP Pro 64.

Bios got flashed before I put the processor in, all the AMD drivers and that are in. But i'm missing the things like Set processor affinity from task manager etc.

I got the processor as OEM, so i just got the CPU itself so I dunno if theres anything special I have to do with windows or that other than what i've already done.

DieSse 18:09 26 Aug 06

This is not what you asked, but has much praise in Toms Forums. click here

jimv7 18:11 26 Aug 06

Howling Mad Murdock, control/alt/delete, performance there should be 2 cpu usage history boxes.

DieSse 18:11 26 Aug 06

PS - it also shows how to set the processor affinity in Task Manager, which is not obvious if you've not done it before.

Howling Mad Murdock 18:15 26 Aug 06

All I see is one CPU useage history.

Iron Maiden 18:19 26 Aug 06

You only need to set affinity for programs that won't work with 2 or more cpus' (real or logical) or work erraticly. for example regcleaner V4.3
Some times setting affinity wont work
if not use this program

click here

Howling Mad Murdock 18:29 26 Aug 06

The problem is the option isn't even there for me to make use of. And the software i've been using all state i only have 1 core.

DieSse 18:32 26 Aug 06

Motherboard make and model please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…