Set-up Belkin router with AOL

Ex plorer 16:59 26 Jan 09

Hi I am trying to help my daughter to set up a wireless network by telephone she lives 70 miles away so I cant just pop and help out.

The wireless on the LT works as I have had it working on my Net-Work.

Both LT and Router are new.

The LT has vista home basic the router is a Belkin of some kind.

I found some info on the net that says Belkin are difficult to set up with AOL.

Any help would be appreciated.

rawprawn 17:33 26 Jan 09

Have you tried connecting the router via cable and the typing 192.168.2.1 into the IE address bar
then follow instructions. I assume once connected then you can use AOL.
I am not an AOL user so I'm really guessing.

Ex plorer 00:48 27 Jan 09

Ok thanks I will let you know how I get on.

Ex plorer 09:51 27 Jan 09

Reading my first thread sounds confusing.

I should have put in my first thread that we cannot establish a connection at all with AOL and we are using the RJ4 cable to try and connect.

sorry for the confusion.

Ex plorer 09:51 27 Jan 09

Reading my first thread sounds confusing.

I should have put in my first thread that we cannot establish a connection at all with AOL and we are using the RJ4 cable to try and connect.

sorry for the confusion.

Diemmess 10:12 27 Jan 09

Don't take what follows as Gospel because I had enough trouble and more when I first had a router.

For what it's worth then.

AOL will not help unless you have one of their netgear routers but-

Your daughter I assume has only the laptop and wants to use it anywhere within range of the router?

So can she hard wire it as a LAN connection to the router first. This will set up the router and the Laptop can later connect wirelessly.

It doesn't help that Aol have done something strange during the last year to make their customers use DialBB instead of the previous AOL.com, but you may be able to use their help "manual" to put the right figures in the right boxes.

feb 11:35 27 Jan 09

The installation guides for AOL's routers are here click here

Ex plorer 14:04 27 Jan 09

Thanks feb no mention of (Belkin) so taking into account Diemmess comment on Netgear and AOL I am
thinking that it may be worth trying to get a second hand Netgear for her.

Any comment on the Netgear DG834G v2 v3 v4 obvious to say the v2 is cheaper on eBay than the others.

Diemmess 14:37 27 Jan 09

As you will have seen on feb's link there are several mentioned by AOL.
I wouldn't buy another router. AOL are just keeping things simple from their point of view.

It should be well worth your while to download your Belkin router's installation instructions Then follow those alongside AOL's, to put the right numbers in the right boxes.

david lu 14:41 10 Mar 09

If someone has managed to get a Belkin wireless router to work with dialbb AOL setup perhaps they could inform us in non tech language exactly how they did it. Wonder how many perfectly usable Belkin wireless routers have gone down the local tip. Even at the lowest price thats £45ish a throw. Thanks AOL.

david lu 15:05 10 Mar 09

This concerns using AOL with HOMEPLUG.
They have even BOLLOXED homeplug set up if this comment from a help website is to be believed.
"How do I setup AOL with HomePlug technology?

To use HomePlug with AOL you need to replace your AOL modem with an AOL compatible ADSL router. AOL uses a special way to communicate through a network so you need a certain model of router. We provide two kits FLA_AOl1/2 to enable sharing of AOL with homeplug. Note the MTU value of AOL is 1400 not 1458 as with BT. Tiscali's MTU is 1500

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced