Set up basic pc to broadband internet

VNAM75 17:34 01 Dec 09

I want to connect my uncles pc to virgin cable broadband. Its an old pc running xp home without a port for an ethernet cable. Inside the pc there are a few spare slots for pc cards which I think are basic pci ports. How do I go about this? If I buy a pci ethernet card what speed/spec should I get? Once installed and both ethernet ports of the pc and modem are connected how do I activate the internet or would it be done automatically?

birdface 18:18 01 Dec 09

You would probably have to use the installation disc if using a usb connection.Not sure if you can buy a usb cable with an ethernet connection on it.
If using ethernet cable you just usually switch everything on and maybe turn the modem off for a minute if it does not connect first time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 01 Dec 09

click here

one of these is all you need

If the modem is already set up just connect the cable and away you go.

If not set up connect the cable and run the Virgin CD than come with the modem or click here

Deekio 18:47 01 Dec 09

Fruitbat has it right, I bought one from click here
Last thursday night 6.45pm it was here at 11.45am
next day and worked perfectly. A snip at £2.50 and
no postage. Cheers.

VNAM75 02:37 02 Dec 09

Thanks, I ordered this one, only £2.50

click here

birdface 12:23 02 Dec 09

I may be wrong but if connecting by ethernet cable i do not think you have to run the installation disc.Try it without and switch off the Modem if it does not connect the first time then switch it back on again after a minute.
If connecting by Wireless I just gave my daughter my 6 year old computer.Added a wireless dongle and it connected first time.

VNAM75 17:19 02 Dec 09

Thanks buteman, will bear that in mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac