services,exe / W32 worm

bingbong 22:42 18 Jan 05

Hi there,

I have recently installed Nortons internet security suite on my XP machine (inc SP2). All was fine until broadband was installed. Since then, coincidental or not, I have had a couple of messages that it had found a W32**** "worm" in my services.exe.exe file! My AV (symantec) said that it had found this and deleted it.

I can't find any services.exe.exe file and now it only has to go on the BT Broadband connection (no browser or email client loaded/running) and gets thousands of messages from Symantec saying that incoming messages are being scanned followed by error messages that "replies" to thousands of spam type messages failed and I have to manually press OK to these.

The other day this went on for 3 hours continuously before the messages stopped and normal services couldbe resumed on the PC. During this time It was impossible to browse the internet as all the resources was taken up by this "phantom" email scanning and reports.

I have tried to do a manual scan with symantec but every time I press "scan" after selecting the hard drive locations it simply goes to an egg timer for a couple of seconds and then sits there doing nothing. I cannot access features in "Control Panel" either now. As I wanted to delete Symantec and relod it to try and force it to scan my system as pert of the instal process.

Any ideas out there???

Technotiger 22:58 18 Jan 05

Hi, dunno if this would work - but, have you tried starting in Safe Mode and then running the scan or doing a Search in Safe Mode to find and then Delete?

Cheers.

Technotiger 23:12 18 Jan 05

I am off to bed-e-byes now, hope you get this one
resolved ok - Good luck.

Cheers - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bingbong 00:04 19 Jan 05

Technotiger,

Will certainly try this. I thought about it jsut after my posting. Will keep you posted.

bingbong 16:44 22 Jan 05

At last, I found the culprit.

Tried to turn off system restore - no chance and Control panel was inoperative. Tried safe mode with Symatec security (as installed just prior to Christmas & updated regularly) Would not allow it!!

Tearing hair out until I uninstalled Symantec in its entirety, even though a few error messages came up. Installed the Internet Security Suite from this month's PCAdvisor cover and Bingo it ran a scan and detected a nasty W32 worm virus of the "Protoride.gen" origin.

Microworld's product installed itself seamlessly and allowed the windows firewall (the Symantec was a pain to set up for a peer to peer connection)to do its business etc. Great result and I expect to subscribe to this product when the free 6 month period runs out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…