services.exe using u to 50% CPU - can I stop this?

Stressed Mum 18:59 04 May 10

My PC Windows XP has been driving me batty - yet again!! This time I notice that the services.exe is using up to 50% CPU most of the time and is obviously slowing me down. It takes ages to open a new program; particularly Internet, iTunes. Office not so bad - but still thinks about it longer than necessary. How can I find out what this services.exe is and how can I stop it? Have ran ccleaner, spybot and have AVG. thanks for any advice. SM :)

ubuntu1user1jb 19:16 04 May 10

what happen if you end it by task manager

Stressed Mum 19:35 04 May 10

This is a critical system process. Windows cannot close this process.

birdface 19:53 04 May 10

Download update and run the free version of malwarebytes.See if that finds any problems.

click here

Sea Urchin 19:54 04 May 10

services.exe is a genuine Windows system process - but it can also be a virus. Go to Start/Search and type in services.exe - it should be in C:\Windows\System32. What does this process do? The link will explain

click here

Stressed Mum 20:10 04 May 10

I have downloaded process explorer - which shows it is something to do with ipod services and plug and play. Just running mawarebyes now

Stressed Mum 20:12 04 May 10

Searching so far shows that avg may be the culprit??

Stressed Mum 20:13 04 May 10

Uhh? This has dropped even though I haven't done anything yet - now not more than 25%

Stressed Mum 20:15 04 May 10

No it's back up again - I'll wait till scan finishes.. :)

Stressed Mum 20:28 04 May 10

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
click here

Database version: 4066

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

04/05/2010 20:26:51
mbam-log-2010-05-04 (20-26-51).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 134289
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 8
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{df058c45-cd18-453e-8745-5a77f60722ab} (Adware.Gdown) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{b5a33c35-7298-4d15-8753-a2e851e2eab3} (Adware.Gdown) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{f0d2b812-752d-4af1-a2fb-968c4d8446db} (Adware.Gdown) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e856b973-45fd-4559-8f82-eab539144667} (Adware.Gdown) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Miracle (PUP.PerfectOptimizer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Backup (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Backup\Application (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Backup\Registry (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Backup\Registry\FirstBackup (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Backup\Registry\FullBackup (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Backup\Service (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\Temp (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GTDownDE_87.ocx (Adware.Gdown) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Perfect Optimizer\PerfectOptimizer.ini (Rogue.PerfectOptimzier) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Stressed Mum 21:43 04 May 10

So far so good. Restarted after scan - services.exe now only at most 10% !! thanks everyone. SM :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…