services.exe pulling 99% cpu

ruckster 14:47 18 May 04

Help, I have been trying to get my PC up and running to a decent crawl for so long. I run Window 2000 Pro, with an 850mhz AMD processor and over 300megs of onboard RAM. It takes close to 4 minutes to open a word document, 5 minutes to find a web site and 88hrs to run Norton Speed Disk. I am protected by Norton Internet Security 2004, have enabled Personal Firewall, and run XoftSpy for adware/spyware detection and removal. I am constantly bombarded with a TCP or UDP intrusion from Local Address-67.1.74.59:xxxxx (where x is random numbers). But the worse part is services.exe pulls 99% of my CPU. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Red

€dstowe 15:02 18 May 04

You make no mention of the size of the hard drive or available disk space. When did you last do a defragmentation of the drive?

May be time for a re-install of your operating system to clear out all the rubbish that must have accumulated over the years.

Your computer is very old and slow (in computer terms) perhaps looking for a more up to date one might be in order.

bertiecharlie 15:13 18 May 04

services.exe can be associated with the Netsky virus/worm. If the filepath for services.exe on your computer is windows\system32\ then you are not being affected by this virus/worm so just ignore this. If the system 32 part is missing then that indicates the virus/worm.

ruckster 15:15 18 May 04

Stoopid me! 20gb master and slave drive is 6gb. I ran a defrag in early April in about 5hrs and one last weekend, and I actually mean all weekend. A re-install is highly being considered, even considering rebuilding the harddrives and leaving 2000 behind uping to XP. Just want to get back to normal first, or close as possible for whatever normal is. red

stylehurst 17:14 18 May 04

See no advantage in going to XP; to all intense & purposes same beast as W2k
Hard Drives are a bit small
w2K Office & Norton alone are probably over 3Gb then you have things like paging file etc
850M processor a bit slow & Ram is definitely on low side

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…