Services.

denali 19:52 13 Jun 05

I posted this thread last week but stupidly I did it early morning so I assume no one saw it. I am trying to download audio drivers for my daughters laptop (XP Pro). On installing it gets so far then I get a message "Name already in use as a service name or service display name." Can anyone help me please.? I have downloaded this driver before with no problems.
I have ascertained it has nothing to do with logon names. so can only assume something is blocking the installation.

howard60 21:31 13 Jun 05

try starting in safe mode and then installing the driver. It is usually better to save the download and then install it from the hard drive.

Eastender 22:57 13 Jun 05

You say you are trying to Download audio drivers and then go on to say "on installing"

So is your problem with the downloading or the installing?

dan11 23:25 13 Jun 05

So the problem is installing the drivers?

Have you been to device manager and picked the update driver tab? If this is a fresh installation, then windows usually uses it's generic drivers for sound. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. If so you must either update the drivers or uninstall them from device manager.

A reboot is required for the uninstall. You can then point windows to the new drivers on bootup.

If it is not a fresh install, reformat, forget most of the above.

denali 23:32 13 Jun 05

I have done all of these things but still no joy.
Windows did install a driver but believe it or not it bore absolutely no relation to the on board sound card

dan11 23:42 13 Jun 05

Do you have any yellow exclamtion marks in device manager? If so, open them and delete the entry.

reboot

"Windows did install a driver but believe it or not it bore absolutely no relation to the on board sound card "

Yes it's good at that.:-)

denali 23:58 13 Jun 05

dan11: No exclaimation marks. It took me about two hours to delete the driver XP installed. I am now beginning to think there may be a remnant of that left beind and stopping installation of the correct driver.

dan11 00:02 14 Jun 05

Sorry M8. The only other thing I can think of is, because it is on board sound, have you tried the motherboard driver disk. It should have the drivers and override windows. Or is this a no no also.

denali 00:10 14 Jun 05

Thanks dan11. Definatley a no, no. Never got that. Everything was pre-installed. I did get the XP Pro disk though. I will probably try a re-install and see what happens. Thanks for your help

Stuartli 00:54 14 Jun 05

Why have you had to install the sound driver on a previous occasion?

denali 12:09 14 Jun 05

Stuartli: My daughter went to windows update and installed the driver they recommended. It was the wrong one and installed over the original. None of them then worked. So I downloaded and re-installed the original with no problem at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now