ServicePack 1 XP Pro laptop not talking to network

alexgray104 21:37 30 Nov 06

Hi,

I have so far successfully setup a file/printer sharing wireless network for my desktop computer and laptop, which are both running service pack two. I now want to introduce my older service pack one laptop to the network. I have run the network setup wizard using the same usb flash stick as with the Service pack 2 comps, and it detects the network and seemingly installs itself. However, when I go into network place and click "graynetwork" to view other computers, it says it is unavailable. Its working fine on the sp2 comps. Any ideas on whats happening??

Cheers

Jake_027 21:40 30 Nov 06

one of it's key features was impprovement of setting up wireless networks and it's also more secure. Microsoft no longer supports SP1 either, so update it and try again, as it might work then.

Jake

alexgray104 21:52 30 Nov 06

Hi, Jake...
I did try to upgrade to sp2 shortly after it came out, however, it wouldn't..

It kept saying my version was illegal and then terminating. I can assure you that it is legal - I have a COA sticker (and bank balance) to prove it!

skidzy 22:09 30 Nov 06

Try downloading sp2 to disc,and load into the sp1 machine.Its a big file and may take some time click here

alexgray104 17:22 02 Dec 06

Hi Skidzy,

I downloaded the file and tried to load on, still no joy :(

I'm gonna give up with SP2, can anybody give help on original question - getting the sp2 network to talk to sp1 laptop.

Cheers.

alexgray104 22:04 03 Dec 06

anyone?

€dstowe 22:07 03 Dec 06

The most likely reason that SP2 won't install is because your XP on that machine is corrupt or faulty in some way - correct that and SP2 will install.

skidzy 22:18 03 Dec 06

Start / Run / Type sfc /scannow (note the space /)

You may be asked for the windows disc if windows is not on a partition.

Understading SFC click here

This link may help also click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos