Service Pack 3 (SP3)

alfredgerald 18:32 10 Jun 08

This seems to have died the death. Is it safe to install or are there still problems? Are AMD users still holding back?

MAT ALAN 19:06 10 Jun 08

Had it since the start, My PC AMD based, no problems...

Housekeep your PC, get rid of any non essential services, scan for spy/malware/trojans, install SP3 defrag your HDD...

laurie53 19:09 10 Jun 08

I thought this was supposed to download automatically with Windows Update, but it hasn't happened yet.

Have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick again?

MAT ALAN 19:13 10 Jun 08

Mine didn't, i just downloaded a standalone version...

Ditch999 19:13 10 Jun 08

Just hope you dont have Norton click here or a few other programmes installed. Personally I am sticking with SP2. SP3 does not even include all the critical updates MS says it does click here
If it aint broke........

MAT ALAN 19:17 10 Jun 08

90% of critical updates don't apply anyway i use the custom install for what ever i think i might need, most of them are for Explorer but as i haven't used that for eon's i don't get much in the update market...

Ditch999 19:17 10 Jun 08

If you are not offered it on the WU site then your system is one of the ones that MS reckons it will not be compatible with yet.
As such I definitely would not DL it yet.
Here is a link to the prerequisites from MS click here

Ditch999 19:25 10 Jun 08

Mat Alan
At the minute I have 100 security/hotfixes for XP listed in my Add/Remove programmes and only 7 for IE. I also have 10 security updates for MS Office.
And you can state "90% of critical updates don't apply anyway "
Where do you get your info from???

MAT ALAN 19:28 10 Jun 08

Probably the same place you got this info.

"If you are not offered it on the WU site then your system is one of the ones that MS reckons it will not be compatible with yet".

haven't put a security hotfix on mu PC for years, waste of time, My PC is secure and it runs like a dream,

wis 19:30 10 Jun 08

i run 3 pcs the older one getting tired so
slipsteamed my xp2 disc integrated xp3 no
probs runs very slick , i think
installing in this way theres nothing to fight with, dont blame ms because you have norton
or other software installed,its abit like asking
our g brown to sort all problems with one fix
it can not be done

MAT ALAN 19:31 10 Jun 08

There are a huge amount of people that will whack em on just because they are there, half of the time ya don't need any of them...

Hot fixes have been known to cause problems, not fix them until they get a fix for the fix...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced