Is service pack 3 safe to load on AMD CPU's?

Cmdr Vimes 16:54 19 Nov 08

I've got a compaq presario running a 64bit AMD CPU. I know there's been problems with endless reboots for some AMD machines when SP3 was first made available. I was wondering if this has been resolved and whether it is "safe" to install SP3 on my machine. So far I've been reluctant to do it despite being prompted continually about it.

Anybody know about this? I'd be grateful for anything you can advise. Thanks

peter99co 17:33 19 Nov 08

My AMD (ACER)laptop is now SP3 and all I did was to closedown A/V during install. (AVG8)

Sequence was to accept download/turn off av at end of download/a restore point is created by SP3 and then install occurs./restart occurs/restarts A/V all ok.

Best of luck!

Cmdr Vimes 17:43 19 Nov 08

Thanks. I've got Windows Live Onecare running, I assume that shouldn't be a problem? In fact, it also prompts me to download SP3.

Stuartli 18:34 19 Nov 08

I installed the last Beta and then Final version of SP3 on my system and it certainly didn't seem to trouble my Athlon XP 3200+ processor...:-)

In fact I had no problems at all. The only one I came across was on a friend's Intel based system when a wireless router driver had to be reinstalled after I installed SP3.

chub_tor 18:41 19 Nov 08

No problems with my Athlon X64 5600.

realist 18:48 19 Nov 08
  Cmdr Vimes 19:38 19 Nov 08

Thanks very much everyone! I installed the patch first and then installed SP3. I created a system restore point and then did a backup prior to this.

Hey presto! Everything seems in order. Strangely, the Win livecare informed me on reboot that I required critcal updates. Off to the website I go to be informed I require SP3! What's that about? I checked my system and it says SP3 is in place. Weird.

Once again thanks for all your help.

peter99co 20:12 20 Nov 08

Microsoft kills OneCare; plans free antivirus

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…