Service Pack 2 and XP Hotfixes

CurlyWhirly 23:09 13 Aug 04

I plan on downloading SP2 when it is released and I was just wondering what happens to my existing Service Pack 1a and the 20+ XP hotfixes that are listed towards the bottom of 'add/remove programs'?
Do all these patches need to be uninstalled first before installing SP2?
I can uninstall the Service Pack 1a (if need be) as when I installed it I chose to archive it.
CW

flying grouse 23:15 13 Aug 04

As far as I know if you leave your settings for Automatic updates on or " the let me know before downloading and installing " it will check and configure your updates. without you removing any updates allready installed............

CurlyWhirly 23:20 13 Aug 04

I can't do this as when I first installed xP I used a program called XP Anti-spy and ever since all of the settings in Automatic Updates are greyed out.

I expect there is a registry hack somewhere it is just a matter of finding it.
I don't really want to reinstall XP again as I have XP just the way I like it and I have made a backup of my drive using Drive Image 7.
I normally look for Microsoft updates every few days as the automatic updates feature is not available.
CW

CurlyWhirly 23:21 13 Aug 04

I can't do this as when I first installed XP I used a program called 'XP Anti-spy' and ever since all of the settings in Automatic Updates are greyed out.

I expect there is a registry hack somewhere it is just a matter of finding it.
I don't really want to reinstall XP again as I have XP just the way I like it and I have made a backup of my drive using Drive Image 7.
I normally look for Microsoft updates every few days as the automatic updates feature is not available.
CW

CurlyWhirly 23:22 13 Aug 04

Sorry for the double post!
This seems to be happening regularly and I don't know why!
CW

flying grouse 23:24 13 Aug 04

The strangest thing is I had to reinstall my OS system yesterday " XP " and Installed the latest updates from Disk from microsoft dated Feb 04.

And let my computer Install the rest from the web! then noticed on my "System Information" the Tab for Auto updates had changed to Ver.5 with the new Red and Green Shields for updates? but I haven't installed SP2 yet............??

Strawballs 23:28 13 Aug 04

This happens if you click on post and if it is being slow and you don't think it has worked then click it again

CurlyWhirly 23:30 13 Aug 04

That is strange as how can the auto updates tab change to a Service Pack 2 icon of a red and green shield when you haven't even installed the Service Pack yet?
CW

CurlyWhirly 23:31 13 Aug 04

Oh right - I am perhaps a bit too impatient now that I have upgraded to broadband! lol
CW

Bapou 23:33 13 Aug 04

Is it not a case of SP2 overwriting the existing files? When I installed SP1 from the disc I assumed that's what happened. None were removed beforehand and no problems arose.

Keeping my fingers crossed it's going to be the same trouble free installation.

flying grouse 23:44 13 Aug 04

I do vaguely remember one of the windows that appeared yesterday mentioning something about new update service version but it never occured to me at the time it was for the new SP2. When you select Auto updates Tab you see the page with the Green and red Shields.

I'm sure if you haven't installed previous SP2 updates you will be OK! The reason for the bigger download of 266MB at the MO! is for this when it is released it will be smaller, about 80MB................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…