service hang report problems

march 10:25 13 May 09

running vista using ntl (virgin)
have just had problem under problem reports of service hang reports

Dhcp
Sens

not connecting
I think I understand that I had no internet connection but dont know why or what to do so did a system restore

could someone explain what happened & why & how to correct it or stop it from happening again please?

birdface 10:27 13 May 09

Make sure all the lights are working on your modem.Or switch your modem of for 10 seconds and then turn it back on and see if that works.or right click Local Area connection and press repair see if it shows any problems.

march 10:35 13 May 09

buteman thanks for your fast response

I did as you say before I used system restore, the lights on modem not working were the 'send' & 'receive' all others worked

virgin say it's a pc connection problem not an internet connection problem,

birdface 10:41 13 May 09

Yes both of those lights are out with mine as well so no problem there.Maybe try.Control panel.Administrative tool.Services. and scroll down to DHPC client and make sure it is set to automatic.You dont stay in the Northants area do you .

Also maybe try turning your firewall off and see if that makes any difference.

birdface 10:43 13 May 09

Did you try repair it will tell you why it is not connecting.

birdface 10:45 13 May 09

Or maybe run your security programs just in case.Is it just I/Explorer that you can't get how about e-mails or Messenger.

march 11:03 13 May 09

ok buteman
had a look under services & DHPC client is automatic

dont know if I could have run repair before I did system restore (never knew it was there before you said)

tried repair & it came up with 'problem connecting' so I ran repair but of course that is after I have done a restore (I dont know whether that will make a difference because I could connect to internet as soon as I did the restore)

no not in Northants I am in Nottinghamshire

could not get e-mails when it was not working

will now run vrus check

march 11:53 13 May 09

virus check is all clear

birdface 12:25 13 May 09

I take it it is working Ok at the moment.maybe it was a Microsoft update or something like that that was the problem.If it happens again maybe do another restore and then switch off system restore except for the last restore point.Or switch it off completely and back on again when you reboot.
Or maybe run C Cleaner to get rid of any rubbish.

march 12:44 13 May 09

hi buteman

dont think an update was the problem as I couldnt get internet access til after the restore, but yes it's running fine at the moment, I have also run ccleaner, & taken a new restore point,

as a matter of fact saw your post on the microsoft updates & noted you said there was only one, I had two which I have downloaded

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2009 (KB890830)

Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [May 2009] (KB905866)

so going back to our previous postings about spam e-mails I wonder if this is the reason & wonder why you didn't have it in your updates?

birdface 13:25 13 May 09

I use IE8 at the moment so maybe it has already been updated with that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5