Servers opinions

Esso43 23:31 04 Jun 03

Ok if I bought a low level server would it be possible to use xp as your main software or would it be better to change current xp pc's to 2000.

Opinions welcome.

hope this is in the right forum?

Despicable Desperado 23:47 04 Jun 03

It doesn't really matter what O/S you have on your workstations just so long as they can connect to your server. What server O/S are you going to use?

Esso43 00:07 05 Jun 03

Ah that is what i am trying to work out.

My choice currently is between win 2000 (maybe server 2003) or trying to use xp pro to do the job.

I will have the sever and two desk tops and 1 to 3 laptops in the network they will all have xp mostly pro.

I am a little new to the server led network thing and getting info on choices is a mismatch of too little or too much info.

Despicable Desperado 00:29 05 Jun 03

If you are only going to have such a small network then just have a WinXP machine as the server and run a peer to peer network (any windows version will then be OK on the workstations). This will not give you as much security as running a proper Windows server but will give you much the same functionality but at a lower cost. If you need to run a proper server then believe Server 2003 Web Edition to be the best deal for a small organisation. Just bear in mind that if you want to run a local domain (and therefore have to run a server program) for highest security you will have to run WinXP Professional (or 2000) on the workstations as WinXP Home cannot connect to a domain

Esso43 00:34 05 Jun 03

Thanks.

So if I want to run the cheapest use Xp it will cope with my small network.

If I want to learn more about servers spend on Server 2003 and make sure all workstations have xp pro.

Is that about right?

Despicable Desperado 00:54 05 Jun 03

Basically yes. Even Win 95/98 will run a small network. Microsoft used to recommend that if you had less than 25 employees then all you needed was a peer to peer network. It all boils down what you need to do, how much you want to spend and how much security you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5