server questions

esl_webber 16:43 26 Jun 03

Hi all, the small business I work for is currently connected seperatly to a hub and the main folders are kept on one of these computers, we are interested in security for our company and also wanting the ability to access each others email lists and calenders. is it better to have everything linked thorough one computer acting as the main server? maybe with microsoft exchange?

AndySD 16:48 26 Jun 03

How many pc's as Exchange is a hefty cost to a small buisness.... and what email client do you use... as in Outlook 2003?

esl_webber 16:55 26 Jun 03

hi andy,
it will be 6 computers and I we will be using outlook that comes with windows xp

AndySD 17:00 26 Jun 03

Sorry to ask but is that Outlook Express or Outlook from Office?

esl_webber 17:02 26 Jun 03

outlook from office, we are currently using express, but there aren't as many options on it

AndySD 17:17 26 Jun 03

No thats true.... I will assume its office xp.

AndySD 17:27 26 Jun 03

Security wise you need to get a hardware firewall if you dont have one. As to Exchange I realy dont think its worth the cost for just 6 of you.... have a look click here Other Solutions.

As for the file sharing if you are having no problems using the current pc for this then why change. Just make sure you have a backup facility on the pc and use it. Unless of course you wish to install and configure Windows Server 2000/2003 and Exchange Server with the additional costs involved. (and lets face it cost is important)

esl_webber 17:28 26 Jun 03

yes. any ideas?

esl_webber 17:31 26 Jun 03

thanks very much for your help, I will have a look into it tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…