server operating system

fermerboy 23:05 31 Aug 05

I want to set up a home network to use my broadband connection. I plan to buy a modem/router which will be wired to the main pc(winxp) and wi-fi to a laptop(win98).
So far so good, I also want to connect a old pc to the network to use as a storage device for back ups and to run the printer so that either of the two can print to the old one. My question is what operating system is best on the old computer and which machines need a printer driver, the main pc's or the old "server"
Thanks , never had any experiance of networking

Forum Editor 09:34 01 Sep 05

1. Windows XP for the operating system on the 'old' machine - if it has a suitable specification.

2. On that machine, go go to the printers folder, right-click on the printer icon and select 'sharing'. Then follow the prompts.

3. On the other computers, go to the printers folder, choose to add a new printer and select the network-printer option. Now select your source - i.e. navigate to the shared printer on the old machine (via the network) and select it.

Whether or not you have to add the printer driver to the other machines depends on whether their operating systems already have a driver in the database - and that will depend on the printer. If there's no driver you have to install one that's suitable for the machine's operating system.

fermerboy 13:50 02 Sep 05

Thanks for that.
Just need to get the hardware bought now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…