Server newbie

FOEYDO 18:52 04 Dec 06

Hi, At present I have 3 pcs in a small office all connected to each other and the internet by a wireless router. What would a server do for me? What are the advantages of a server? I have 5 websites would a server serve any purpose for my websites? Really know nothing about servers and need to know whether its worth looking into.

powerless 22:23 05 Dec 06

No real need for a server and if you did need one then you would know you needed one.

To use a server you could use Active Diectory to control the PC's but I wouldn't even bother.

You could setup a file server at least to store data on and any of the 3 PC's could access the data. But there are are more easier ways to this with NAS plus it's smaller and cheaper.

For your websites you would need a static IP address and one that your ISP would have to issue you [if they issuse them]. You might have to swap ISP to do this. Hosing these days is cheap [depending upon your requirements].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple