Server and Modem Conflict

Herman.C 11:53 17 Jul 07

Hi I'm currently a student in IT so my knowledge is very much limited, so please help!

Problem: Unable to access my website, accessing modem settings instead

I am currently writing this web database application, I have installed Apache so that I will be able to use my computer as a home-based server. Unfortunately I hit some bumps. I have a DLINK modem and because of this ADSL modem, there is of course a LAN and a WAN IP address.
For external users to access my computer they supposedly enter the WAN IP address and then be able to access my Apache/website. During the Trial runs when i entered my IP address/DDNS website name, it only accesses my modem's settings (my 10.1.1.1) and not the Apache on my computer that i am wanting.

I have followed the tutorial that i was issued with and followed it word for word, but it still sadly refrains to work.

Please tell me what I need to do! thanks

Ashrich 17:25 17 Jul 07

Have you tried accessing the server from the LAN address instead of the WAN ?

Ashley

PalaeoBill 20:30 17 Jul 07

When you say external users do you mean internet users like Ashrich and me?
If that is what you mean then there is an immediate problem. There are not many ADSL modems that are capable of presenting the ISP assigned IP address (i.e. the WAN IP) to a device/service attached to the modem. In your case the Apache server. You need to check if your modem can do this. D-Link do make a modem that can do this, the DSL-300T, but I imagine it would be cheaper to buy a router.
Most ADSL routers can do what you want via the DMZ (De-Dilitarized Zone) setting where you can configue the DMZ in the router to use the local IP address of the PC that is running Apache. It does have serious implications to your network security though.

PalaeoBill 20:38 17 Jul 07

There is a nice article on port forwarding here which may help also.

click here

Herman.C 06:07 18 Jul 07

Thanks for all your replies. PalaeoBill, I read the link you gave me and found the problem being my router not forwarding my port correctly. It all works fine now, all I need to do is get PHP to communicate with MySQL now! haha

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now