Server Hardware

travelcard 14:48 23 Apr 03

Hi there,
I've looked online but can't seem to find advice about which type of hardware you need for different servers.
I guess for Exchange or SQL you'll need a number cruncher with 2 Processors and lots of Ram, but what do you need for a Fileserver and a Printserver?
Any ideas?
Thanks

BBez 15:42 23 Apr 03
  travelcard 16:17 23 Apr 03

Er, thanks BBez but I think you missunderstood my question (the middle link doesn't work by the way)
I don't need to know the minimum specifications of each Operating System. I know I am going to be using Windows 2003 server in each role. I will need a print server, file server, exchange server and be using Active directory with about 30 client PCs. I want to know what kind of hardware I'll need for each role and which I can combine in one server. I know, for instance, Norton Antivirus Corporate edition shouldn't be installed on a server with exchange or SQl so I'll install the Norton's on the file server. Do you need much processing power or Ram for a file server? These are the things I'd like to find out.
Cheers

travelcard 13:06 24 Apr 03

I still haven't been able to get this info, if someone can help out that would be great.

Taran 13:18 24 Apr 03

You say "about 30 client PCs".

How many exactly are there presently and are they all running one common OS, variations of Windows or are they a mix of MS, Apple, Unix/Linux ?

All networks should be set up to allow for some growth without either over-gunning or under-gunning yourself.

It would also help to have a realistic estimate on current print, mail and general network traffic and whether you require a database server.

More detail would possibly help here, but in the long term you'd possibly get as much if not more assistance by calling a few hardware vendors, discussing your requirements and just listening to their suggestions. You can then distill the information and discuss it further, but at the moment you have lots of questions and very little supporting information.

There are a few of us in here who are involved quite heavily with server-side networking, so you can always keep asking about specifics. I'd suggest that a few calls to some of the mainstream hardware dealers will at least give you something to chew on, but they will need some rather in depth information to best advise on products in line with your required or intended use.

Regards

Taran

vinnyo123 17:15 25 Apr 03

you should check there web sights under servers.They give you help in choosing what you need and in depth knowledge of hardware you'll need,and for file servers not to much processer speed and ram is necessary you can get good results from a basic server for small business needs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…