Server delete

holligan 15:39 18 Nov 03

When i highlight file to delete it does not highlight on the the publish servers view.Also ive a attrbutes c on the index page and cant upload.Can i do it another way or shall i start again.or can i save the 8 pages and do 1 with the index on cheers

Forum Editor 18:32 18 Nov 03

in your server space, do it via FTP. I know that you have the correct permissions on the server because I've checked, and as you know, I've deleted quite a few superfluous directories from your space myself. If you try to view your site in Internet Explorer now you'll see that I've made it work, but you won't see any of the images. That's because I moved your page called index.html outside the folder you created called 'html'so the browser finds it.

The problem with your site is that you are not publishing an index page (called index.htm or index.html),correctly, and that's what a browser looks for. No index page, no site.

The best advice I can give you is that you start a completely new site - make sure you have a home page, and that the other pages link from it. NOF will do all that for you if you use one of its templates, and that's what I suggest that you do. To start with you don't need to add all the content - just add the blank pages and make sure that you have navigation buttons linking to them. Publish the blank site to the server, and only publish it once - don't publish several version, all to different directories, as was the case before. Let NOF do its job, and it will send the site to the server correctly - you don't need to change anything in FTP. Have a look at the server space now in FTP and you'll see what I've done.

When you're ready to publish let me know, and I'll remove what's there at the moment - that way things won't get confused.

Good luck, and for the benefit of those who might be wondering what all this is about - I've been working with holligan off-forum for a day or so, in an attempt to get
click here up and running. I know how frustrating it can be when you're working with software for the first time - especially when it's your first attempt at a web site. We'll get there.

holligan 21:01 18 Nov 03

i now have it green and blank pages if thats right.I now fill them in and publish each one as i go do i .cheers

Forum Editor 21:24 18 Nov 03

I would suggest that you don't publish each page as you go. Wait until you have a complete site - all the pages preferably - with your navigation buttons all in place, and then let me know.

Forum Editor 21:29 18 Nov 03

I should have checked the server first. I see you have published the site with blank pages.

Excellent - now you can start loading in the content, and publishing to the server as you go. Remember - open the same site each time in NOF and don't publish anything but that. As you add content and publish, NOF will update the server copy.

If you take a look at the publish dialogue box when it comes up you'll see that you can select an option to publish only those pages with changes - this will save time, as NOF won't have to go through the full publish.

Keep going, I think you're almost there now, but please remember: publish only that site - don't start another version, or change the server directory structure. I've had a look at the server directories and they're now exactly as they should be.

holligan 22:49 18 Nov 03

but what i did do was go wrong then start another site.ive gone wrong now all the content is the same in every page. i will have to keep trying to get it right.cheers

Forum Editor 23:09 18 Nov 03

is open each page separately. Just go the site view and click on the page that you want to work with. Do the alterations/add the content and then go back to site view and click on another page. Add stuff to that page and so on. When you're ready, publish the site.

Take it slowly, and think thiungs through as you go. If something goes wrong, backtrack, don't try to put it right by trying something else, and then something else, or you'll get in a mess again.

There's a folder on the server called assets, and that contains all the images that are on the site. If the image isn't in the assets folder, but still on your hard drive the server will not be able to load it when it's called by a visitor's browser. Everything's fine at the moment - there are four images in the folder, and they're all visible on the site, so you're on track.

Forum Editor 23:35 19 Nov 03

and your server space is bare. Is there some reason for this, or was it an accident?

holligan 12:58 20 Nov 03

ya it all went dark and 1 line blue.all my comp went funny so took it off and installed again and started again.i will keep it in the 1 file now i no.ive had viruis and then keep getting will close down message ok now.i hope

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…