server connection interrupted

Lemur 20:29 10 May 06

I have been trying to send a small video by attaching it to an email (Outlook Express) but am failing. The facts as I see them are: I have Windows XP, and am on 2MB Broadband (BT). I am attaching file: MOVO3742.MPG (39.6 MB), or alternatively, file: MOVO3742.zip (30.4 MB).
In case my screen saver is causing a problem, I have re-set it to start after 30 minutes.
I have also tried disabling my Norton Anti-virus.
I have had no problem sending still picture/text packages of say 2.64 MB.
The error message I keep getting for my video files is "Your email message to ---------- was unable to be sent because the connection to your mail server was interrupted. Please open your email client and resend the message from the sent messages folder."
Any ideas please?

Jak_1 20:35 10 May 06

That is way too large a file to send by ordinary email, no wonder you are getting a time out. Also I doubt that the cipients mail box space will be large enough to accomodate such a file. Try GMail, but even then you would need to split the file into 1MB chunks to send. HJSplit, a free download from tucows would do this for you. For Gmail both you and your friend would need to register an account there. GMail = Googlemail

Lemur 11:34 13 May 06

Thanks Jak_1. Very helpful advice which I will keep by me for possible future use.

Meanwhile, I wonder if you (or anyone else) know if a typical video editing program would enable me to custom reduce the file size even at the expense of reduced picture quality.

Lemur 11:36 13 May 06

Thanks Jak_1. Very helpful advice which I will keep by me for possible future use.

Meanwhile, I wonder if you (or anyone else) know if a typical video editing program would enable me to custom reduce the file size even at the expense of reduced picture quality.

terryf 11:58 13 May 06

Alternatively use winrar, you can specify the size of chunks it splits down to, if I remember correctly 2048k???, but could be wrong, you could send these chunks and then the recipient could re-constitute as one file

yabadabado 12:22 13 May 06

can also try sending the file not through e-mail-
have a look at
click here

amonra 16:58 13 May 06

Burn it onto a CD and post it. Less hassle

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…