Server connection failed

Billawa 20:08 26 Oct 05

I am setting up a new computer for the Internet using Firefox and Thunderbird as defalt programmes. I have both set up and working on my laptop. The new desktop connects to the Internet and my ISP without any problem for FF but TB gives me the message "the connection 127.0.0.1 was refused". Trying to use Outlook Express I get the message "The connection to the server has failed. Account "pop.freeserve.com" Server 127.0.0.1 Protocol POP3 Port 110. Secure SSL No. Socket error 10061 Error number 0x800CCC0e"

What is wrong? I have checked the settings for TB between the laptop and the desktop and they are identical. I am awaiting connection to broadband and connections to Freeserve Anytime since I applied to change have been exceptionally slow. Is there any connection or is this co-incidence?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VoG II 20:14 26 Oct 05

Something is not set-up right because 127.0.0.1 is the address of your PC.

If you are on Windows XP check for the presence of the file C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and rename it to hosts.txt

Billawa 21:06 26 Oct 05

VoG
Sorry, this hasn't worked. I am still getting the sameresponse on both TB and OE. There's a gremlin somewhere in the system!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…