server computer specs

esl_webber 11:37 20 Aug 03

Hi all,
I am wanting to get a desktop computer to act as a server for a small group of 7 computers to act as an internet gateway, manage our emails, store shared files and act as a printer server - we mostly use MS office files and therefore have no large image files and our bakcup file is currently only around 700mb. I am trying to get an idea of what specs the computer should have in order to run an efficiant systen. Also would we only need a firewall on the server and router and virus software on the server???? thanks

a fairly basic machine machine such as a Dell poweredge (advertised in the front of every pc magazine you see) will cover your needs and offer plenty of scope to upgrade. this is just an example not an endoursement there are thousands of alternatives almost any PC would do if it has plenty of memory and storage.

as to the other question you will still need anti-virus software on each workstation as the internet is NOT the only source of infection but you will only need a firewall at the internet gateway.

esl_webber 12:51 20 Aug 03

thanks I'll have a look into that - is that a computer or a server?

the poweredge is a server but at the end of the day theres not a great deal of difference between a server and a regular PC at the bottom end of the server market which is all you will need (no need for dual processors). the most important thing wil be to have plenty of memory.

esl_webber 13:11 20 Aug 03

I think we want to get a computer, I've been told we can use XP pro as software - or should we get seperate software?? what would you suggest for memory size? RAM and harddrive?
cheers

i would start with 1GB of Ram from the outset at have two hard drives of at least 80GB each.

( a server is still a computer, dont be intimidated by it, they are generally just built in such a way as to be more maintainable on the fly, hot-swappable hard-drives etc.)

as to software stick with XP pro if you are comfortable with that but Demo versions of 2000 advanced server and server 2003 are available from Microsoft and will offer advantages if you want to learn how to use them.

esl_webber 13:28 20 Aug 03

will look into it - thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…