"server cannot be converted into an IP address"?

palinka 09:09 18 Nov 05

Part way through downloading updates for AVG I got a message something like "server cannot be converted to an IP address". Only option seemed to be OK, but connection was still running (Dial-up; Tiscali; OS is XP)so returned to start of process of updating and it continuued from where it had stopped. This happened 3 times during the download. Heard from a friend also on Tiscali dial-up (OS Win98) that she had had same message, but even before the download began. Can someone explain what it means, please.

Forum Editor 09:17 18 Nov 05

that your browser thinks it can't find the site you are connecting to, and the most common cause of the problem is a firewall. Some firewalls play up with AVG downloads, and the first thing you should try is to disable the firewall.

Another common cause is people trying to run two anti-virus programs on the same computer - something you should never do.

If the firewall solution doesn't work, come back for more advice.

palinka 09:46 18 Nov 05

Thasnks, FE

The only Firewall on the one I was working on was WinXP's. No firewall at all on the computer on which my friend had same problem.

palinka 09:48 18 Nov 05

and on each there is only one antivirus - AVG

palinka 11:21 18 Nov 05

In the case of my friend, who gets this message immediately so can't connect to AVG to get updates, I'm going to suggesdta complete re-install of AVG. is that likely to help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…