Server Backup Medium

smiffyrebel22 17:08 19 Oct 08

Hi
I am trying to use my server (Freenas Installed) for backups using the windows ASR, I manage to backup OK but am having trouble restoring, I obviously need to load drivers for the mobo's on board ethernet utility and setup the home network connection, but in all honesty I have not got a clue how to do this apart from creating a pre windows CD boot disk. Any advice would be apreciated or am I flogging a dead horse
Thanks

DieSse 17:58 19 Oct 08

This tells you what to do.

click here

No personal experience though - sorry.

smiffyrebel22 23:21 19 Oct 08

Thanks for the reply DieSse, but I know how to use ASR but when I try to restore from the server ASR is not finding the server, possibly because a driver needs to be loaded and the PC needs to connect to the home network, and thats where I do not have a clue of how to connect to the network during the ASR.
Thanks

DieSse 00:28 20 Oct 08

This MS page tells you what things you need to do to install an ASR controlled backup across a network.

click here

I surmise from what I read that unless you have prepared things correctly in advance, you may not be able to do what you're trying to do. This sentance appears to be the key one.

"If the computer does not have a floppy disk drive, or you want to perform an ASR restore over a network or remotely, you can use a Remote Installation Services (RIS) server to fully automate the ASR process. RIS uses Pre-boot eXecution Environment (PXE) technology to enable client computers without an operating system to boot remotely to a RIS server that performs installation of a supported operating system over a TCP/IP network connection. Consequently, the remote installation client computer must have a PXE-enabled network adapter."

Note also the caveats about user data and other volumes.

It looks to me that to backup your entire system as an image, you might want to look at Acronis True Image Workstation plus Acronis True Image Echo Workstation, which appears to do the job you want, but more comprehensively than the MS software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac