Server advice...

Gaz 25 19:38 18 Jan 03
  Gaz 25 19:38 18 Jan 03

Which is best a Rackmount server or a powerful PC with expansion and all the other extras like fast network card and broadband that has all the shares on, etc.
Please help?

BBez 20:17 18 Jan 03

depends what you need serving. Network card is down to what you purchase, broadband you subscribe for regardless of PC power and shares are configured within your Operating System...

Gaz 25 20:42 18 Jan 03

2 USB printers, Files so it would need 100Gb 7200RPM as I do photo editing, Internet connection, Intranet, and 5 DVD drives (Built i to server).

I am going to run XP pro on it too.

If it was a PC turned Server I would have a large ATX case and lots of expansion and with RAID, etc.

Help please?

Gaz 25 21:12 18 Jan 03

Gaz 25 21:26 18 Jan 03

siarad 21:42 18 Jan 03

Rackmount is really only necessary for lots of expansion cards. I have one 'cos it has 14 cards plugged in & ordinary PC don't come that big. The cost of single-board PC to plug in is high as is all the rest. I'm not sure that latest P4 are available as single-board either.

Gaz 25 21:45 18 Jan 03

So Rackmount or server?

Taran 22:01 18 Jan 03

Gaz 25 22:03 18 Jan 03

PC server?

Taran 22:08 18 Jan 03

Sorry, I hit the Post response button on the wrong thread (replying to too many at once here)

The server option is all well and good but does not seem as appropriate as the power PC option given your very limited information.

Now, to throw a cat amongst the grey-winged pesky pooing birds, a power PC is just that - not a server (despie that fact that it can function as one with an inevitable peformance hit).

Either option here is subjective until we have more detail.

I suggest you start getting down to some serious detail in terms of your expected use, rather than the limited info you've so far supplied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…