Server 2003 - XP Pro Networking Problems

shers_support 13:27 13 Feb 04

I have Windows Server 2003 connected to two Windows XP Pro workstation using UTP Cat 5 cable and a Belkin 5-port Switch.

I've had this setup for about 4 mths with no problems. I have a broadband internet connection on the Server and it is being shared. Again, this has all worked fine for 4 months.

When one of the workstations goes on the internet after a while they are unable to access the network or the internet. When trying to access an internet page it says "cannot find server" and when trying to access a mapped drive (for example), it says the network is not available. If I then look at the Switch, the lights which indicate what ports are in use are flashing violently as if a huge amount of data is streaming down the network. However, if I look at the connection status on each PC (including server) while its doing this, none of them are sending or receiving a single bit of data.

If I unplug the power on the switch then reconnect the power, everything is fine again.

Would this indicate a switch problem or could this be something else?

callingman 14:06 13 Feb 04

Don't have much experience of 2003 server but I wonder whether you have a faulty switch, some times hardware faults only show up when the device is at working temperature

Steve N 18:30 14 Feb 04

Sounds like a knackered switch.

We have a Netgear Wireless Access Point @ work which locks up if you start to use it a lot and transfer a lot of data over it.

I just unplug it and then plug it in again and all is fine for a few weeks!

ensonricky 18:40 14 Feb 04

I have exactly the same issue with my Netgear 834G. Switch off reboot it and everythings fine for another month. Probably a knackered switch in this case as suggested.

vinnyo123 19:57 14 Feb 04

curious is it happening on one host (xp machine or both)?

also on one port of switch or all?

did ya try differnet ports on switch?one might off come unstable.

also if it is one host try different port or maybe the cat 5 cable became distorted some how check the connectors or for kinks(might be getting echoes which will throw switch off) ,,,crosstalk EMI,RFI etc.

just a thought....

shers_support 14:25 15 Feb 04

vinnyo123 - thank you! I checked the cable between one of the PC's and the Switch and noticed that a part of it must have been seriously twisted. I changed it and the network now works fine.

Thanks for all your advice. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now