Server 2003 SBS domain, DNS & NetBIOS

brundle 23:03 18 Mar 09

Server 2003 SBS, domain "mydomain.lan", 3 clients connecting. I want to leave WINS/NetBIOS behind entirely and just use DNS as all client machines are XP Pro. Two connect perfectly well with NetBIOS over TCP/IP disabled, one refuses to join the domain when I disable it (but connects fine when it's enabled) - if I use a local account or cached profile I can still ping the server and other machines by IP address and name from the problem client, and other machines can see do the same in return. IPCONFIG /ALL run on a working machine and the problem machine give identical results apart from the obvious IP address and machine name differences. ARP -a gives no results. HOSTS file was being used to block a variety of sites for less "industrious" workers but I disabled that while troubleshooting and it made no difference. OK, I could ignore it and leave NetBIOS enabled, the users wouldn't notice - I'd just like to know if I've missed something obvious - first server install, plenty of experience with peer-to-peer.

brundle 21:56 19 Mar 09

Sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant