Serious security hole in INTERNET EXPLORER

obbit 17:37 25 Jun 04

Here we go again. click here

VoG II 18:30 25 Jun 04

Yep. click here

GaT7 18:44 25 Jun 04

obbit, thanks for the warning but when I run Win update there are no updates offered (Win98se). I wonder why this is? G

obbit 18:49 25 Jun 04

hi Crossbow7. micro$oft haven't writen the patch to block the hole.

give it a couple of days or weeks then you will get the patch. keep visiting PC ADVISOR for news.

canard 20:26 25 Jun 04

bump

shizzy 21:03 25 Jun 04

I read about this on another magazine site last week, about the browser bit anyway and downloaded Mozilla. Did Opera first but not keen on that. Too fussy. Just took it for granted that you would all have heard about it before me. Sorry. Wished I had posted now and risked sounding a daft woman if you had already known.

jz 22:22 25 Jun 04

From the BBC website... "Home users are being told to update their browser and avoid the threat by turning off Javascript. However, this could mean that some webpages do not display as expected."

I had a look at the Microsoft website but couldn't see anything about turning off Javascript. How do I do this?

VoG II 22:29 25 Jun 04

In IE, Tools/Internet Options, Advanced tab and untick everything listed under Microsoft VM.

Personally I think that this is overkill - if you have updated anti-virus you should be safe.

Charence 22:30 25 Jun 04

seems like they still haven't got a fix for it. Maybe I should close IE right now. But doesn't IE open anyway when your computer starts up?

Charence

GaT7 22:44 25 Jun 04

Charence, IE is Internet Explorer. It usually opens when you manually start it. You could try an alternative Internet browser if you want, but as VoG mentions with upto-date AV you should be safe. G

obbit, thanks for the advice. Will keep checking for an update or let Win update automatically pick it up when it becomes available. G

Charence 22:58 25 Jun 04

just updated NAV, hopefully it will keep out unwanted viruses :o)

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…